Position: Co-op Production Coordinator Assistant (Summer Student)
Organization: By the Bushel Community Food Co-operative
Location: Peterborough, ON
Duration: 30hrs/week for 7 weeks (July 10th – August 25th, 2017)
Hourly Wage: $12.90/hr (3-4 days/week, including the possibility of working some evenings and weekends)
By the Bushel (BTB) Community Food Co-operative was formed in the spring of 2009 following two years of community discussions regarding the need to move toward a more sustainable food system in the Peterborough area. BTB operates as a producer/employee/consumer (multi-stakeholder) not-for-profit co-operative. Currently, BTB offers local, ecologically grown baskets of produce weekly in the spring and summer and monthly in the winter.
We are seeking a summer student to fill our Co-op Production Coordinator Assistant position who will work directly with the Co-op Operations Coordinator and the Co-op Production Coordinator and contribute to the organization and facilitation of the in-coming produce and farm-based products for By the Bushel’s weekly summer produce basket pick-up as well as receiving, sorting and displaying produce, some customer service, sales and working with Quick books and other office inventory and ordering systems.
By the Bushel is currently in the process of recruiting more producers in order to offer more local products to our membership. The Co-op Production Coordinator Assistant would act as a co-op representative during co-op and community events, presentations, conferences, etc. The student would have the opportunity to work on the website to update producer information and products.
This position was created by Canada Summer Jobs and applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year at a postsecondary institution and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Priority will be given to hiring a qualified Aboriginal student.
The Co-op Production Coordinator Assistant will be responsible for carrying out the following activities:
- Assist with the organization of the in-coming produce and farm-based products for By the Bushel’s weekly summer produce basket pick-up
- Contribute to the organization and facilitation of BTB’s weekly summer produce basket pick-up (Thursdays and Fridays) including:
- Receiving and verifying producer deliveries
- Sorting and displaying produce
- Organizing all produce in accordance with that week’s basket contents
- Facilitating basket payments and additional sales
- Assisting with developing weekly basket newsletters
- Other duties as necessary
- Provide ongoing support to the Co-op’s Operations Coordinator and Co-op’s Production Coordinator with promotion, outreach and education to establish new producer connections
- Assist with developing and expanded producer product and product availability lists
- Assist with inventory and market research to ensure we are sourcing in demand commodities.
- Assist with establishing wholesale relationships in our community.
- Assist with the research and development of a product labelling system and with other initiatives that would support the growth of the co-op.
- Act as a co-op representative during co-op and community events and presentations.
- Provide ongoing support to the BTB staff for additional activities as necessary
- Studying food systems, sustainable agriculture, environmental studies, Indigenous studies, sustainability studies, communications, business, non-for-profit management or another relevant field
- Passionate about sustainable food and familiarity and interest in the co-operative model
- Retail food and food handling experience would be an asset
- Research experience would be an asset.
- Familiarity with local food suppliers would be an asset.
- Preferred experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing/sales, communications and/or events planning.
- Computer skills, and experience working with Excel and other Microsoft Programs, website and social media experience, photography, video and/or other media background would be an asset.
- Ability to engage in physically demanding work
- Ability to multi-task and able to readily adapt to changing needs and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or in small team environments
- Willing and able to work from multiple sites including their own and others’ home offices, the produce basket pick up location, event, and farm sites
- Full G license and access to a vehicle would be an asset
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are asked to email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, May 14th at 5 pm with the subject line “Co-op Production Assistant.”
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.