Co-op Operations Coordinator; By the Bushel Community Food Co-operative
By the Bushel Community Food Co-operative is an innovative food cooperative that has an integrated membership of food producers and processors, dedicated staff and a community of eaters working towards rebuilding our relationship to land, good healthy food and community. The cooperative grew out of a community consultative process and since 2009 has been operating as a not-for-profit share cooperative. Currently, BTB offers a weekly and monthly produce basket program as well as access to other local ecologically grown products. BTB coop is in the process of consulting the community and re-developing our business plan to scale-up our operations so to increase the reach of our local, ecological and organic products in the community. We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized and self-motivated person to co-ordinate the day-to- day operations of the co-op and to help grow our food programs through outreach, education and member engagement.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations in collaboration with the Co-op Director/Production Coordinator, including the basket and additional products program.
- Work with BTB’s bookkeeper to ensure fiscal accuracy and responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the coop.
- Be the “face of the organization” during Thursday basket pick-ups times and store hours.
- Develop and maintain communications with co-op members, community partners and the general public via social media, newsletters and website etc.
- Respond to community and member inquiries (via phone, email, etc.) and ensure responses are given in a timely manner.
- On occasion assist in the continued development, coordination and implementation of the sales and marketing plan, member events, and community outreach events to grow the coop.
- Coordinate volunteers.
- Organizational and administrative duties as required
- Food retail experience: merchandizing, ordering, inventory, etc.
- Degree/diploma in agriculture and food systems, marketing/communications, and/or equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills as well as confident use and experience with website and social media platforms.
- Experience coordinating volunteers.
- Understanding of the co-operative model.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Good organizational and on-your-feet problem solving skills required.
- Creativity and innovative thinking would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the issues within and experience with Peterborough Region’s food and farming systems would be an asset.
- Experience planning and coordinating events as well as outreach and education programs would be an asset.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, friendly.
- Passionate about sustainable food.
About the Position:
This position would start in May and is a commitment of 13 hours per week with very occasional weekend or evening work. The ideal candidate will work from the BTB location on Thursdays 9:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. as well as a few hours from their home office during our main season May – November and a monthly schedule would be developed to support our winter basket program. The Co-op Operations Coordinator will report to the Co-op Director.
The Co-op Operations Coordinator will be subject to a 3-month review period. The hourly wage for this position is $16/hour.
To apply for this position please provide:
- A cover letter that outlines your relevant experience and education as well as your passion for sustainable food and farming systems
- 3 References
Please send your application package to: email@example.com
by Monday, April 23rd at 5 pm. Interviews to take place in late April.