Recipe courtesy of Once Upon a Chef
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: let sit for 1/2 to 3 hours
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 pound brussel sprouts trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound kale thick centre rib removed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup your favourite oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots or green onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Bake the walnuts for 5-8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Keep a close eye on them; they burn quickly.
- Combine the brussels sprouts and kale in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables. Add most of the walnuts and cheese, reserving some to garnish the platter, and toss well. Let the salad sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or up to a few hours in the fridge) to allow the flavors to meld and the vegetables to soften. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and scatter the remaining walnuts and cheese over top. Serve at room temperature.