Recipe Courtesy of Eating Well
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 8 cups Kale leaves torn
- 2 tbsp horse radish
- 1 medium shallot or other mild onion
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups potatoes cooked and shredded
- 3 tbsp oil
- Place kale in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and finely chop.
- Meanwhile, mix horseradish, shallot, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add the chopped kale and potatoes; stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the kale mixture, spread into an even layer and cook, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes and returning the mixture to an even layer, until the potatoes begin to turn golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes total.
- Tip: 1- to 1½-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.